Thursday, September 1, 2011

What's Been Going On?

Life in the Baird household is just trucking along.  We've had our highs and our lows and our just normals.  Here is some of the latest...

Two days ago, both Micah and Adam got to feel Baby Boy kick, finally.  I've been feeling him for quite awhile now, but it hasn't been strong enough to feel on the outside.  Micah was at work with me on Tuesday when I felt quite a few good thuds.  I knew he would keep it up, so I told Micah to come over quick and see if he could feel the baby.  I'll never forget the look on his face or the excitement he expressed at being kicked by his baby brother.  His eyebrows raised and he got that big smile on that I love so much.  He felt him twice, then ran into the other office to brag to G-pa and Uncle Z that he was the first one to feel the baby.  That night, while lying in bed, Adam got to feel him, too.  Since the inner ear bones are beginning to harden, that means Baby can start to hear us.  So, Adam was talking to him, and sure enough, he got kicked at.  I love this stage.  It just becomes a bit more real that there's a little baby in there when you can feel him.  Tonight, Seth joined the club.  As soon as he put his little hand on my belly he could feel the baby, but he kept his hand there much longer to feel it again.  So sweet.  It won't be too long before we'll all be tripping out at seeing him move across my belly.

It's no secret that Seth is a wrestling man.  Both the boys love to wrestle around, but Seth is usually the instigator.  His love for Nacho Libre is also well known in these parts, and that's why he received a specially made Nacho Libre costume from his Aunt Alli for his birthday.  This boys LOVES his stretchy pants.
Don't mess with this kid.
I mean he really loves them.  He wears them any chance he gets, even to bed.  When he goes to Grammy or Nanny's house, his Nacho costume must be in his backpack.  Before church last night, we gave the boys a shower and got them dressed.  I sent them into their room to play while we got ready.  When I called for them to come get in the car, I noticed Seth had a red butt.  He had pulled the red underwear over his khaki shorts and really thought he was going to church that way.  He's nuts.
A side effect of wearing the Nacho pants is that when he gets them on, he thinks it's time to throw down.  It doesn't matter when or where.  The other night, after bedtime prayers, a wrestling match somehow got started.  I don't even know how because one minute they were in bed and we were kissing them goodnight and the next minute, they're on the floor.  I mean the lights were off and everything and yet there they were, in the glow of the hall light, tossing each other around.  This particular match was so hilarious that we couldn't do anything about it for a long time but laugh.  We may be biased, but they're really getting good.  They were pulling out moves that we've never seen before...and Seth was holding his own pretty well against his older brother.  At one point, he was standing behind Micah, who was sitting, and had his arms wrapped around his head in a choke hold and was attempting to lift him off the ground that way.  You just had to see it.  Well, after about 15 minutes of laughing so hard I nearly peed my pants (a lovely pregnancy symptom), we told them it was enough and past time for bed.  Seth asked for his Nacho pants.  We are pretty used to this request before bed, so Adam put them on him and told him to get to bed.  As soon as that elastic snapped against his hips, though, something took over him.  Instead of climbing up into bed, he shouted, "Now we wrestle!"  As if the past 15 minutes never happened or they were just taking a break or he wasn't really serious until the pants were on.  I don't know.  Like I said, he's nuts.

Today was the first time of many (I'm sure) that we contemplated taking our boy to the emergency room for a wound.  Micah was at work with me.  I was sitting at my desk while he was playing across from me on Disney Junior on our laptop.  Suddenly, he fell off the back of his chair, which pulled a cord, which was connected to a candle warmer, which had a LARGE jarred candle on top of it, which fell right on top of his noggin, then landed and broke on the tile.  I saw him when he first started to fall so I was already over to him by the time the jar broke.  He instantly started screaming bloody murder.  At first, I thought it was just going to be a bad bump on the head, but then the blood came.  All over.  All over the floor, me, and him.  To make it worse, he had his hand on his head, then rubbed his eyes from crying, so it was all over his face as well...like something out of a horror movie.  It was an act of God that I stomached it so well.  My Dad heard the commotion and came running in and I ran Micah to the bathroom.  It was so heart-wrenching to hear him cry and scream things like, "Why did this have to happen?" and "Why does it have to hurt so bad?" and "I don't want to sit in that chair anymore!"  I would have traded places with him in an instant if I could.  We got the bleeding to slow down and were able to see that underneath his thick hair, was a pretty good sized gash.
I wasn't sure what to do, so Zech and I took him (complete with a bag of ice shoved into an oven mitt) over to Adam's work to get his opinion.  We chose our course of action and it was then that I called Amber, as she is an experienced wound super-gluer.  She explained how she & Chris had done it before, but it was never in a hairy area.  When we discussed shaving part of his head, Micah had a cow.  He's been talking a lot lately about how he wants to grow his hair out because that's what Uncle Noah is doing.  I really didn't know what to do.  We went to K-Mart.  I left Z & Micah in the car while I ran in to find hydrogen peroxide and super glue.  While I was in the store, Adam called me.  It was then that I decided I couldn't do this alone and it was about time for him to take a lunch break.  So, I re-parked the van under a tree in the parking lot and Adam met us there.  We laid Micah down in the back of the van using a Bible covered with a towel as a pillow.  Recounting this makes me laugh even now.  Adam brought some gauze, Q-tips, and rubbing alcohol from work.  We cleaned off as much dried blood as we could with the peroxide.  Then, we were able to move the hair aside so that not a precious strand had to be cut and while Adam held it, I put the glue in.  He squeezed it shut and I must say, it didn't look half bad.  Not that I want to do it again.  
Well, you have to know, that all of this didn't happen without some bribery.  While performing our little mini-van surgery, we kept telling Micah to stay still and think of Yogurt Paradise.  And think of it, he did.  In fact, before we went there, he even got the evil chicken McNuggets I swore I would never let him eat again.  I think that grosses me out more than all the blood.  Major mom-guilt over here.  Anyways, while he was eating his frozen yogurt, I checked out our handiwork again and noticed a small bead of blood that had formed in the corner of the gash.  I figured it would scab up and left it alone.
A couple hours later was naptime.  When he woke up, I checked it again and saw that the little corner had managed to make a small river of blood down his head.  (Isn't that disgusting?)  We would need more glue, darn it.  The boys and I got home shortly after that.  Adam and I got out the superglue again.  The superglue pen I had bought at K-mart wasn't being as productive this time and Adam was getting frustrated with both it and Micah's impatience while he tried to fix it.  So, he got out another tube of superglue that we had in a drawer and was previously used.  Of course, it was clogged, so he got a pin and shoved it down there.  He then put it over Micah's head and started to squeeze hard.  Next to nothing was coming out.  He tried unclogging it again, put it over Micah's head and squeezed.  A little something started to come out.  He squeezed harder.  All of a sudden, that little something popped out along with a puddle of superglue...right there, on the back of our son's head.  My eyes just about popped out of mine.  There's absolutely nothing you can do.  You can't try to sop it up with anything, because whatever you sop it up with will be glued to his head!  We tried our hardest not to say anything or sound too freaked out because we didn't want to excite Micah.  So, we were just silent and exchanged MANY faces over his head.  Needless to say, our previous "great job" now looks like a bird pooped or camel spit on the back of the poor kid's head...but the wound is sealed!  And as if he didn't have enough of a cowlick problem before, his daddy just bestowed a new one upon him.
In his shower tonight, I tried to get some off, but it's as hard as a rock.  I put conditioner and coconut oil on it.  That got me nothing.  I guess he'll just have to be like that for awhile.  Good thing he's not in Jr. High...that would just be brutal.  Before bed, he shouted, "Mom!  I felt the glue!" and then he wanted to see it.  I got him a mirror and showed him the back of his head.  I was a little worried about his reaction.  He has such a good sense of humor because I think I would have been crying, but he thought it was kinda funny.  "That looks weird," was about all he said with a giggle.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know he wanted to grow his hair out like me :) this makes me happy. Sorry though.

    ReplyDelete

Whaddaya think of that?